Scholarship Requirements In Canada for International Students – Canada is yet another top-notch study location, offering every student quality education recognized across the globe. There are several scholarship schemes available for international students, to help students finance their studies in Canada.
However proper research should be done before considering applying for scholarships in Canada. There are several types of scholarships in Canada available for Canadian and international students. How To Write Scholarship Recommendation Letter 2022 – [Sample & Template]
TYPES OF SCHOLARSHIPS FOR CANADA INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- Entrance Scholarship: These scholarships are sometimes called prestige awards. They are provided by individual universities and colleges for an incoming student. When you apply to a university or college, they automatically consider you for an entrance Scholarship, solely based on academic strength. The entrance Scholarship automatically takes into account your academic performance as well as your leadership and extracurricular activities. They are very competitive, so the more your impact experiences, the more chances you get at achieving the scholarship award.
- High School Scholarship: These scholarships are offered by your high school or school district and are less competitive, unlike entrance scholarships. High School Scholarships require that you ask the school counselor or principal as they are usually not well-publicized and applications may be available for a short period of time. They are available for Grade 12 students.
- University and College Scholarship: These are scholarships available for university and college students but these scholarships don’t end in Grade 12. They are mostly awarded based on your academic merit and extracurricular involvement. If you have a wide range of experience in volunteering or community work, you have the best chance of receiving the university or college scholarships. If you are currently a student, check your university’s website to see if they are available.
- External Scholarship: External scholarships are the broadest range of scholarships as they are not associated with a specific school and are offered through third-party or community groups. These can include companies, organizations, and foundations. The great thing about these scholarships is that they also range in their awareness in the community. Some scholarships, like the TD Community Leadership Scholarship, are greatly publicized. Others may be less-known, often because they are only open to students in a particular city or town.
- Affiliate Scholarship: Affiliate scholarships are another type of external scholarship which are eligible to students through their affiliation with the company or organization providing the scholarship.
GOVERNMENT-FUNDED SCHOLARSHIPS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- IDRC Research Awards: These scholarships are available for graduate and postgraduate students from developing countries to begin a master’s or doctoral research degree at a recognized school.
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships: These scholarships are offered by Canadian government fellowships for international students undertaking postgraduate study within the social and natural sciences or health research field.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships: These scholarships are for Canadian students enrolled on a master’s degree or Ph.D. at a university in this country.
- Organization of American States Academic Scholarship Program: Canadian government scholarships from the Organization of American States (OAS) are available to graduate students from any OAS member state, including selected countries in Latin America and the Caribbean islands.
- NSERC Postgraduate scholarships: Various Canadian government scholarships, awards, and grants are open to distinguished students undertaking study in the engineering and natural sciences at an approved Canadian university. The NSERC funds these types of scholarships in Canada for international students.
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program: Finally, these Canadian government scholarships are open to doctoral students internationally to study at a participating university in Canada.
NON – GOVERNMENT-FUNDED SCHOLARSHIPS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Non-Government Scholarships: These are scholarships offered by various trusts, foundations, and organizations to students pursuing a specific course stream to encourage participation and development in the said field.
- Anne Vallee Ecological Fund: These are offered to students pursuing animal research at the doctoral level in Universities in British Columbia or Quebec. The award amount is 1,500 CAD.
- Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships: Awarded to international students pursuing doctorate degrees in Canada. There are around 15 scholarship awards of 60,000 CAD offered under this scheme.
- Canada Memorial Scholarship: Offered to students from the UK pursuing PG education in Canada. The award covers tuition fees, airfare, and accommodation expenses.
INSTITUTIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR CANADA INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Some universities or colleges in Canada offer full scholarships to international students whose aim is to achieve their academic goals in Canada. We have compiled a list of these universities for you to choose the one that best suits your interest and qualifications.
- The University of Toronto, Lester B. Pearson International Student Scholarships: The University of Toronto in collaboration with the Lester B. Pearson scholarship program awards the international student with a fully-funded scholarship that covers tuition fees and living costs. Applicants of this scholarship program must have an excellent academic record, be very creative, and also recognized as leaders within their school or community. Qualified students will pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University of Toronto.
- York University International Student Scholarships: York university international student scholarship is awarded to students who have shown excellent academic performance and are aiming to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at York University. The scholarship is fully funded, covering tuition fees and living expenses throughout the student’s year of studies.
- British Columbia International Student Scholarship: The University of British Columbia is one of the most recognized schools in Canada that offers full scholarships to international students. The scholarship awards are based on the academic record of the students and such scholarship award is fully funded covering tuition fees and living costs.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS IN CANADA
When you’re applying for a scholarship, you have to check the granting institution’s website to make sure you provide all the needed documents. However, there are common documents that most institutions require from scholarship applicants, such as:
- Completed scholarship application form
- Copy of your academic transcripts/diplomas
- Copy of your passport/ID
- Statement of purpose or letter of motivation
- Recommendation letter
- Test score (like SAT, ACT, GRE, GPA)
- Proof of your language proficiency, like an IELTS test.
Lastly, some institutions may also require some additional documents, such as an essay and a medical report.
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A MASTERS AND PH.D. IN CANADA
There are many excellent countries for international students wishing to pursue their master’s and Ph.D. studies on a scholarship. Canada is one of them – it has been voted the most attractive study destination by agents in the 2021 survey.
Ph.D. admission requirements in Canada vary based on the university and the field of study. But in general, most universities in the country require the below from international students applying for both masters and PhD degrees there:
- Completed application form
- Accredited master’s degree in a related field with strong grades and proven research ability and potential
- Transcripts for your university degree or courses
- Statement of Purpose
- GMAT or GRE scores
- Recommendation letters
- English language test, such as IELTS or TOEFL
- Application fee